Wednesday, April 19, 2017

How to Get the Good Things

Well last week apparently wasn't the last week so I have one more blog for you! I always thought it was interesting when absolutes like "always" "never" and "all" appeared in the scriptures because I always felt that it was impossible really but that the scriptures were making a good point and showing a perfect example, something we need to strive for. While I still feel this is valid this week I was reading some more in Moroni and a phrase I had never really noticed before popped out to me. It starts in Moroni 7 verse 19.

"19 ...and if ye will lay hold upon every good thing, and condemn it not, ye certainly will be a child of Christ.

20 And now, my brethren, how is it possible that ye can lay hold upon every good thing?

21 And now I come to that faith, of which I said I would speak; and I will tell you the way whereby ye may lay hold on every good thing."

Moroni literally says "Ok get ready I'm going to tell you how to get all the good things." Then in verse 25 he makes a small conclusion saying "and thus by faith, they did lay hold upon every good thing;" It is an interesting thought that by faith we can lay hold on all the good things and I started to think about the fact that when we think about "god things" we typically think from a very worldly standpoint. We think of money and cars and even in a more noble sense we think about the scriptures and helping others as the "good things" we must lay hold on but I think to put this whole thing in the context of this chapter the good things we are required to lay hold on are Christ like attributes. Moroni begins with faith because it is only through faith that we can really develop other Christ like attributes. After talking about how faith is the method by which we lay hold on all good things he lists Christ like attributes ending with charity.

If we are to develop charity or any of these Christ like attributes we need to have faith and then, do as he directs in the closing of the chapter and "pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment